Saturday 18 October 2014

Boo's Big Day!

Phew! What a mouthful that title was! But there is no denying that my lamb will be sleeping just fine after one of the biggest Thursday's of my and his life.

The morning sun shone brightly as I nervously led my lamb through the busy chattering crowds and quietly gave Boo a pep talk "I believe in you" I whispered.
After many seconds passed the judges were gathering our competition into a circle and giving us some crucial instructions on what to do and finally... lambs began leading around and around the circle, but all of that didn't matter because right now it was my turn and I was determined we would try our best.
I came second for leading and third for calling. But the moment that I had been working towards were these words...
"Champion senior lamb for this year is...... Emily Forsyth!"

This event is the biggest fundraiser for our school.  Calf and Lamb day is definitely a sight to see. Many people from around the community help support this day and make it a huge success.  All of  the children, just like me have spent weeks training their animals to lead and call for lambs and many hours brushing their coats for the calves. We had a very successful cake and goods auction followed by a very exciting batons-up draw. As always the PTA BBQ was a hit with the crowd and the slushies' from the dairy cart went down a treat as it was such a hot day.

Have a look at the action packed fun in this slideshow.

10 comments:

  1. Emily
    Congratulations on the wonderful recount that you wrote about Calf and Lamb Day. We've had a lot of questions and feedback about the event and you've made an excellent summary of the event.

    Secondly I wanted to congratulate you on your achievement with Boo in the event, winner best Senior Lamb is something that you can be extremely proud of.

    Mr Webb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Mr. Webb I was proud of my lamb very much! She did extremely well.

      Delete
  2. Hi Emily, as a city based teacher I loved this post. I am envious of your school day that allows for such an amazing day such as Calf and Lamb day. I have to say as a very much non expert that Boo stands out as a potential champion in the photo.

    I enjoyed reading your recount, Emily. Thankyou so much for sharing what looks to be a very special "slice" of NZ life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your comment Claire! I enjoyed reading this and I personally think that Boo was a winning lamb, but in saying that there were MANY other great looking lambs. \
      Emily

      Delete
  3. This blog is fantastic - a great mixture of video, visual imagery and text. Well done. I also really like the way you have a questionnaire to gather feedback from your audience. Mr Ward-Smith (Lytton Street School, Feilding).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for the comment Ben, I am also glad that you enjoyed my questionnaire, Feel free to come back and visit anytime.
      Emily

      Delete
  4. Hi Emily. Lovely to read your blog about your very successful day. If you are agreeable I would like to share your post with my class as they have their Country Day In November and it good for my class to read other experiences about these days. Did you have to do any crafts for the day?
    Ms Teviotdale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kay, I am honoured that you want to show your class this post. I would be very happy for you to show them and I would also enjoy their feed-back very much! Emily

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on taking the prize for best senior lamb - what a beautiful animal! You can see how much care you have put into preparing Boo for the big day! What breed of sheep is he? Where we live, the main breeds are Swaledales, they are very hardy and can live on the fells. They don't look much like your lamb!
    Super blog, well done!
    Mrs Monaghan
    A Room with a View, UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for visiting Mrs. Monagan! I am very glad you noticed all the hard work I put in. I am not quite sure what breed he is but I will be sure to ask his owner as he is a unique sort of lamb.
      Emily

      Delete